Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mamma's trip to NYC

I went on a vacation by myself. It was awesome! I love vacationing with others, don't get me wrong, but it was kind of fun to walk quietly through the airport and just go at my own pace for everything. I have always wanted to go to the US Open in New York, but it was always durning tennis season and I was coaching. When Joey and I were in NYC in April we met up with my friend Maggie for drink and she said, "yeah, you should totally come back". I told her I hoped she was serious and not just being polite, because I would! And I did :-) So I flew out Sunday afternoon (after Anna and Chad's wedding on Sautrday!) and got in around 9-ish. We walked down the street and grabbed some dinner...that's one thing that is cool about New York. The next day was the open...I had been watching the forecast before the trip and it was basically rain everyday I was there. I was a bit stressed about this because I only had a short trip and didn't want to miss the chance to go! Monday ended up being the best day (even got sunburned!)! The rain never came and we got to spend the whole day there!


us open duckie I got for J


Louis Armstrong Stadium


inside...


Djokovic...eventual winner! We also got to watch a 16-14 tiebreaker- awesome!


Maggie and me...apparently in our matching outfits




On Tuesday, I had a "Jaclyn Day" since Maggie worked and taught that day. The only bummer was that it was raining...but I had a pretty umbrella that worked out just fine. I rode the subway to midtown and dropped Maggie off at work. Then I had to decide what to do! Surprisingly, I didn't have the day planned out...I just knew what I wanted for lunch :-) So I wandered around NYC for 12 hours...here is what I did...


walked down to ess-a-bagel...yum


Did some shopping...got Juliette and I some matching tennies for DW :-) Here is my most random thing of the day...my old hair guy from mpls works at the Plaza in the Warren Tricomi Salon, so I dropped in to say hi and asked if he was there, then asked if he had any openings. He had one. Right then. So I took it...having no idea what it was going to cost me :-) He did give me a great deal (a third off!), so it wasn't too bad and it was vacation money so it was ok! It was also super fun to catch up! And I am lucky I even saw him because he's only at that location Tuesday/Wednesday and then he's on 83rd at the ohter location Thu/Fri/Sat...so yeah, it was super fun to catch up. Here it is in action :-)


After getting my hair did, I went to pick up cupcakes at Crumbs....which was also lucky because my paper bag form the Nike store was getting wet and breaking and the Crumbs bag is a nice plastic handle bag!

my lunch at ruby foo's. general ruby's chicken. one of my favorite things in the world to eat.




After lunch it was about 3 and still raining. I had originally thought about going back to Maggie's and taking a mid-day nap since I knew we'd be out late, but I just went to a movie instead. I saw Horrible Bosses. The movie got out about 5:30 so I thought maybe I'd catch a show. On Tuesdays they start at 7, so I could watch a show and still meet Maggie for dinner late (she teaches until 9 anyway). I waited in the TKTS line, but didn't want to spend $70-$80, so I just walked around and looked up and down the streets and saw the Memphis sign. My cousin Noelle had recommended this one before so I walked down to see what they had left, and the cheap seats were $41 so I took it! Memphis won the Tony Award for best musical so I knew it would be good. After the show, I went back to Maggie's and we took a cab to a Tapas bar and were there until 12:30! That was one long day!! I took the subway and train to the airport the next day and barely made my flight (2 people working the counter is not enough...), but I got home and was greeted by Juliette running up to me with flowers. So cute :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment